Monday, November 21, 2011

Here's to last 4 years! Goddard Lions Football

Who really likes change?  Yesterday ended Ben's 4 years of junior football with the same boys since 3rd grade.  This means I've been with these parents and coaches for 4 years as well.  And if you know me, I'm a total extrovert, I'm all in with relationships.  These are my peoples, my family.  No more screaming in the stands, yelling at the refs.  No more Noal telling us to behave! With that smile on his face.  No more hearing Kim McSwain's voice across the field.  No more Coach Mackey coming to practice and games in shorts when it's 20 degrees outside.

Sure we'll see each around but it won't be the same.  Seasons of life are just that.  The season has officially ended.  And Ben and I sat in our van and cried. 

I love football.  I was at most practices being the center of some joke because, well I was usually sticking my foot in my mouth.  What will I do every Monday, Tuesday and Thursday night. Withdrawals are coming.  You see the parents of our teams we just really liked one another, never drama.  We just had the best weeekend in Topeka.  Oh, there was drama but it was on our cheerleading squad, those parents have some issues.  We just really LIKE each other.

Ben found his passion on the football field.  He almost didn't play, he was so small and I was afraid he would get hurt.  My husband had just passed away in 2007 and I was sure Ben would forget we had promised he could play in 3rd grade.  He didn't.  I was reminded to keep promises and try to make decisions and think about if Jeff was here, what would he say?  So I signed him up reluctantly and who knew I would love this game so much too?  Who knew my my little kid would be a linebacker?  Who knew he would make friends that he will probably keep for a lifetime?  Me too.

I cannot tell you the impact his defensive coach has had on him.  Coaches can do that for kids.  There are moments when my son has fell apart after a game and he wants no part of me, I know what he wants but he is in heaven.  But this "surrogate father/coach" will always go to him and he knows what to say.  And it's exactly what he needs.  I cannot be this for Ben.  His impact will be remembered for years, I know Ben will not forgot you, Mike Carraway.  I will not.  You have treated my son as your own. 

I am grateful for these coaches who have given their time year after year.  They are just dads.  I cry as I type this because my child doesn't have his here and I so wish he could have come to a game and seen him play.  Don't miss out on your kids lives.  Be there for them.  Don't miss one single chance you get to hang with them.  Life is fleeting and short and uncertain.  Never take it for granted.  But also be available for the ones who don't have a dad.  Many of you parents have been that for my son.  Thank you, I see it all.

Sorry if I've made you cry.  Been feeling a bit sentimental today. Looking back at the past four years.  Have a wonderful and safe Thanksgiving!  This year I'm so thankful for all of you.   Many blessings, Reneene



3 comments:

Jena said...

Omg. U made me cry and I normally dont! I will miss noal's stories about all the kids and even some if the parents ;)
Plus now he is home so he had no excuses regarding the chores :)

Frozen In Time, A Scrapbook Boutique said...

Reneene, inlove following your blog! This one got me! As I sit here and cry typing this to you. We had such an awesome time in Topeka this weekend and am sad to see it all end now. I can't imagine your feelings as we only played one year. You are such a beautiful person inside and out and I am so thankful to know you and call you my friend. Thanks for sharig your thoughts!!
Love you!

Joni

Byron said...

Reneene, You have an awesome young man in Ben! As a coach I could not ask for a better young man. He listened and asked questions...he truly enjoyed the game! And I enjoyed coaching him! I know Jeff would be proud!