Wednesday, November 2, 2011

Secret Goals and Dreams

If I could write while I was driving or taking a shower, I would probably have a book published by now.  Did you know that's my secret goal?  The biggest obstacle, truthfully there a number of them, is ME.  I'm a big chicken.  I can pretty much talk myself out of anything.  This may be hard to believe because I talk so stinking much but I am a closet under-achiever. 

What would this book be about?  Even if no one bought it, I have a desire to write about Jeff's (our) cancer journey, who he was, our life together, how God healed me.  It would be for our children.  When they grow up and want to know what happened.  The whole story.  When they want to know about Jeff and our amazing love story.  I would love to have it written down for them.  Truth is as time goes by, I am forgetting things.  Age does this to you. If people also bought it, then that would be a bonus and I could provide for my family.

Writing a book sounds too big to me.  I cannot even count how many people have told me I should write a book.  Really I just don't know where to begin and so I begin nowhere.  Which may seem like a cop-out to you.  Essentially, I am putting this out here because I WANT to start this project.  It's time.  I believe it's something God would have me do, I am in my own way.

I was watching Dr. Phil and he was talking about goals and setting them (another weakness of mine) and he said something very defining for me.  He said, "Someday, is not a day of the week."  When we say we will get to that someday it's not specific enough.  Days turn into weeks, weeks turn into months and months turn into years.
I am coming up on 5 years since Jeff went to Jesus and know it's time to move and make specific goals in regards to writing if I'm ever going to write this book.

Why is it so easy for us to inspire and encourage our children to dream big?  We tell them they can grow up to be anything they want, do anything, be president, play in the NFL, the possibilities are endless.  But at some point as adults we stop doing this for ourselves.  I think this is unfortunate.  God certainly doesn't stop believing in us when we reach a particular age.  He created us.  Just read Psalm 139:13-16 (The Message)

Oh yes, you shaped me first inside, then out;
   you formed me in my mother's womb.
I thank you, High God--you're breathtaking!
   Body and soul, I am marvelously made!
   I worship in adoration--what a creation!
You know me inside and out,
   you know every bone in my body;
You know exactly how I was made, bit by bit,
   how I was sculpted from nothing into something.
Like an open book, you watched me grow from conception to birth;
   all the stages of my life were spread out before you,
The days of my life all prepared
   before I'd even lived one day.


What are some goals and dreams you have had, maybe you've not even said them out loud because then they are real?  I know I probably need someone whose an expert in writing to help me fulfill mine.  We shouldn't be afraid to ask for help.  I am really believing 2012 is going to be the year of Joy and life and light and Hope.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I've told you before Lucy - if you talk into a dictaphone I'd transcribe it for you and get it on paper. Lucy, Lucy. It's time!!
Love you my friend!!
Ethel