Wednesday, November 24, 2010

Turkey Confessions

It's the eve of Thanksgiving and I've got a confession. I'm 45 years old and I've never cooked a turkey. There I've said it out loud. Rather embarrassing wouldn't you say? Truth is I'm not a very good cook. I just don't know what I'm doing. I look at the food and nothing comes to me. Just before I started blogging I was preparing my "Thanksgiving Food Item" which I bring every year. A veggie tray. Yes, that's right, I can cut up veggies. And I'm only 45 years old. My dear Olivia walked into the kitchen about an hour ago and asked me if I have ever put my entire hand inside a chicken's bottom. I said without hesitation, "No, I have not."

I also bring Sweet Potatoes (my grandmother's recipe) which is from a can but Please, oh Please don't ask me to make the turkey. I am in awe of those who do cook. I love to watch cooking shows. Love "Top Chef."

Recently, I read a quote that I can't get out of my head (I have it taped to my fridge hoping it will rub off on me). It's by actress Jennie Garth. She has three daughters. She said, "I cook every day. If I don't cook, they don't eat. Who's going to do it? I'm their mother?" Wow. I mean she could pay someone or order the food in. But she does it herself because she's their mother. I am in awe of this. My poor kids. Hotdogs, anyone?

When I first married Jeff, he figured out early on I was no chef. I didn't even know how to cook meat. He would come home from work and ask what kind of meat had I boiled in water for dinner? Yikes. So I've come a long way, baby. I can now make a mean Salsa, scrambled eggs and Oreo Brownies.

Maybe 2011 will be the year I learn to love cooking! Or maybe I'll meat (oops! no pun intended) a wonderful man who just happens to be a world class chef! Hey, we can't be good at everything, right? So this Thanksgiving I am thankful for those God has blessed with culinary skills. For tomorrow we will eat the fruits of YOUR gifting rather than mine. Happy Thanksgiving.

2 comments:

patrick atonna said...

Renee- You have a beautiful outlook on life, don't ever lose that. Lance Armstrong coined the saying "Live Strong" I share these words with you as a way of saying that no matter how strong the Tempests you may face, do not lose faith in yourself or the world around you. He did not and look what an amazingly full life he has lived and still has to live.

Les said...

Go for it, Reneene!! Go buy a turkey and bake it one day. You'll be so proud of yourself.