Friday, August 20, 2010

Football...ready to rumble!

On a lighter note. Sort of. I love football. I probably should've been a man, I feel like it at times with the regular upper hair lip waxings! TMI? Sorry. Anyway back to football. I believe in mercy in every arena except football. No Mercy. There's something really great about it. Love to watch it, wish at times I was a boy and could play it. I am at Ben's practice three times a week for two hours and thoroughly enjoy watching him practice. Many parents drop the kids and leave but a few of us stay. I do because I really like to watch. It's not a sport for the faint of heart. There's no crying in football. Only the tough survive. Rough and tough. I'm sorry if that sounds harsh but if you can't handle it then there's always golf. You have to be able to hit and be hit.

Last night we scrimmaged another 5th grade team and it was rather comical. They are a new team and maybe have not played before but I'm a girl and I know if you have the ball you aren't supposed to slide to the ground to keep from being tackled. This isn't baseball. Or instead of getting tackled grab a hold of someone on the other team and pull them to the ground on top of you. This could be a long year for them.

What I love second to football is the relationships formed with the other parents. They become extended family for about 4 months of the year and you really get to know their hearts, struggles, joys, devastations and who they are. I love this. I am a people person. I love how we are drawn by football; a rowdy, contact sport and at the same time 5 moms can sit there with our chairs and share our struggles with our kids, spouses, heartaches, etc....

There are fun times too. Earlier in the week we had quite a lively practice arguing over whether "unbox" was a word or not. Moms said no, Dads said yes. Finally, a mom at home looked it up and those stinky boys won. We still have not heard the end of this. Laughter is the best. God is so good how He gave us each other to walk through life together. I love that the most.

Whether you are hitting someone on the field, watching from the side lines, coaching, running kids around, working, whatever you are doing. Don't miss interacting with the person right next to you. Strike up a conversation. Lighthearted or deep. Funny or serious. They may need you for something or you may need them. One thing is for sure, we all need each other. It's the way God made us and I am so thankful for it. See you on the football field of life!

1 comment:

Becky said...

Amen! Now let's go kick some behind!!