Monday, August 16, 2010

Love is a gift

Well, friends. I'm not writing a book but I am writing a blog, so that's something. Baby steps. I know, I know everyone has a blog and all you need is one more to read. Please don't feel pressure to read mine. This is really me getting all the words out of my head because there are no other grown-ups in my house. I no longer want to say that facebook is my husband, as disturbing as that sounds.


As I put my third child on the school bus today, I was already prepared (which I rarely am) for a walk. Olivia drove off and I began my first moment of quiet bliss. Beautiful. Lovely. Sunny. As I walked, Norah Jones began to play on my IPOD, "Come Away With Me." And something happened in my first quiet moment, in those three minutes. It was as if Jeff was whispering in my ear, "come away with me in the night, I want to walk with you on a cloudy day in the fields where the yellow grass grows knee-high, so won't you try to come, come away with me..."


I can't begin to tell you the emotion I felt as I walked and imagined for three minutes running away with my love. Funny how after over three years, my heart longs for him. I believe God gave me the love I have for Jeff and so it will not die becasue he is gone. I am thankful for this morning because I realized that love is a gift and we should not take if for granted.


Be grateful for your spouse. I hope you are treating them as they are a gift. You might not have them tomorrow. Our pastor Terry spoke yesterday about most marriage problems can be solved by two simple things: kindness and humility. And think about that you have one of the three greatest things (faith, hope, love) in your possessions and how are you treating them?

I am fully aware of Jeff's faults and mine too. We didn't have a perfect marriage but we both just really liked being with each other. More than with anyone else.


I pray for all my friends marriages this week. Do something really great or really small for your spouse. Even if you think they don't deserve it. Remember how you used to feel when you were dating. Hey, Norah Jones is pretty romantic music, you can even borrow my cd. God is a big fan of your marriage. Me too. Blessings and thanks for coming along for the ride!


16 comments:

joni berblinger said...

Reneene, I love it and will for SURE be a follower of your blog! Such nice things you have said......You touch me with your thoughts.
Love you!!
Joni

Nick Atonna said...

I think this is a wonderful beginning. I look forward to reading more.

Becky said...

Ok, you are making me cry. Love it! Thanks for the good thoughts...

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Unknown said...

I've been waiting for this for so long! Thank you for sharing your gift. Love you friend!

Alli Unruh said...

Such good, true, and encouraging words. Thank you for the reminder to not take my husband for granted. I look forward to reading your blog.

Karen Franklin said...

Good words, soul sister. Glad you're writing. I'll be reading.

linda t said...

Oh Reneene, I am so thrilled that you started a blog. You are wise, insightful, funny and honest. Oh and beautifully and wonderfully made.
Thank you for trusting us with your journey... for letting us witness the hand of God on your family, as you trust Him day to day.
You inspire me.

nancy in ks said...

I look forward to reading your thoughts! You write so well.

allenbach5 said...

Oh! What a gift you are to all of us. I appreciate your authenticity and willingness to share your heart, and your heartache. Can't wait to read more!

Suzanne said...

Thank you Reneene! What a wonderful entry! Can't wait to read more.

Jasonsuper50 said...

I love to blog! Thank you for Sharing, you have brought tears to my eyes and love in my heart for your words. My marriage is the same as yours or as you speak it was. We are not perfect but we love to be together. Love that your sharing your thoughts. Hugs Ann

Tobi Wright said...

Hi sweet friend. Again, I'm moved by your words & your life. Thank you for sharing the meditations of your heart with us. It IS gonna be worth it. Love you!

Les said...

Thank you for the reminder, Reneene!! You bless me!
Lesli

Pastor's Hot Momma said...

Since beginning the book "Crazy Love" I have tried to be very mindful of this. Thanks for the reminder.

Anonymous said...

Hi Reneene! I just happened upon your blog tonight when I saw you in a photo on FB with one of my friends Chris Hedrick. It is a God thing that I found your blog tonight of all nights...I scrolled to the bottom and read your first blog "Love is a gift" and I really needed your words at this very moment. Thank you for reminding me to cherish what I have. Hope all is well with you!!
Paige Ryan